Webinar: Join us, Tues 5/24. Nightfall & Hanzo experts will discuss how machine learning can enhance data governance, data security, and the efficiency of legal investigations. Register now ⟶
SaaS Data Loss Prevention: What is it and Why is it Important?
With the rise of cloud-based applications, data loss prevention (DLP) has become an increasingly important part of information security. DLP refers to the policies and technologies used to prevent sensitive data from being lost or stolen. In the context of SaaS, this can include both the security measures implemented by the SaaS provider and the steps taken by the customer to protect their data. In this blog post, we’ll provide a more detailed overview of what SaaS DLP is, why it’s important, and how you can go about setting up a DLP strategy for your business.
What is SaaS Data Loss Prevention?
As we mentioned above, SaaS data loss prevention refers to the security configurations, processes, and technologies you use to ensure that sensitive data remains safe within these environments. Cloud-native SaaS DLP, like Nightfall, uses APIs to connect to SaaS platforms in order to monitor content for signs of leakage. Whenever content violating your data security policies is posted on a platform – for example, SSNs in publicly accessible Slack messages or Google Drive files – Nightfall can automatically take action to remediate this. Cloud-native SaaS DLP software can be combined with practices, like lowering your data retention policies, to reduce your data leakage risk.
Why is SaaS DLP Important?
SaaS DLP solutions are important for many reasons. One key one is that it can help you comply with industry regulations like HIPAA and PCI-DSS. These regulations require businesses to take steps to protect sensitive customer information from being accessed by unauthorized users. Data breaches stemming from unauthorized access can have severe consequences for organizations, including financial losses, reputational damage, and legal penalties. DLP for SaaS can help to mitigate the risks associated with data breaches by preventing sensitive data from leaving your environments.
What are the benefits of SaaS DLP?
There are many benefits of using a SaaS DLP solution, including the following:
- Increased security: SaaS DLP solutions provide an extra layer of security for sensitive data, making it more difficult for hackers to gain access. SaaS DLP should be used in conjunction with other tools and processes that make it less likely for sensitive data to be easily accessed on SaaS platforms.
- Compliance: As mentioned above, many industries have strict regulations surrounding the handling of sensitive data. By using a SaaS DLP solution, organizations can ensure that they are in compliance with these regulations.
- Ease of use: SaaS DLP solutions are typically easy to deploy and manage. Nightfall, for example, is agentless and connects to SaaS Platforms via API in just seconds. The only thing that needs to be configured are the policies you’ll use to find the types of sensitive data that matters to you.
- Cost savings: Because SaaS DLP solutions do not require extensive tuning and can be automated, there is a great potential for cost savings.
- Improved productivity: By automating many tasks associated with data protection, such as identifying and classifying sensitive data, SaaS DLP solutions can free up security teams to focus on other tasks.
Data loss prevention is a vital part of information security in the age of cloud services. By understanding the types of data loss that can occur and implementing appropriate security measures, businesses can protect themselves from costly data breaches. Implementing a SaaS DLP strategy doesn’t have to be difficult, simply evaluate your needs based on industry, size, and your current data security coverage. You can also feel free to schedule a call with us below, and we can guide you through the core aspects while considering building a SaaS DLP strategy.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive our latest content and updates
Nightfall is the industry’s first cloud-native DLP platform that discovers, classifies, and protects data via machine learning. Nightfall is designed to work with popular SaaS applications like Slack, Google Drive, GitHub, Confluence, Jira, and many more via our Developer Platform. You can schedule a demo with us below to see the Nightfall platform in action.
Schedule a Demo
Select a time that works for you below for 30 minutes. Once confirmed, you’ll receive a calendar invite with a Zoom link. If you don’t see a suitable time, please reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.